Peace and Social Change Graduate Student Internship – Fall 2019
The Women, Peace and Security (WPS) Program at Columbia University is pleased to invite applications for the Peace and Social Change Internship. This paid graduate internship opportunity is designed to support the Peace and Social Change Fellowship Program. The internship will run from September to December 2019.
The Peace and Social Change Fellowship Program aims to generate knowledge, build skills, strengthen relationships, exchange strategies and amplify the possibilities generated by frontline advocates and organizers working on issues of social change, justice and, more broadly, security for all people. Through six-month fellowship cycles, cohorts of women changemakers representing a variety of geographic and thematic areas come together as a critical learning community to learn from and with each other, both virtually and in person.
This round of the Peace and Social Change Fellowship program is for women changemakers working across New York City. We are looking for students from a variety of humanities and social science disciplines. Students will work as interdisciplinary teams, with specific tasks each week, to co-produce final outputs for these organizations. This internship is designed to be a participatory process with the fellows and the WPS program, grounded in the needs and desires of the fellows themselves in order to support and increase the visibility, reach and impact of their work.
The Peace and Social Change Internship is designed to run from September through December for 15-20 hours per week and will be 150 hours in total. Selection for interns will be based on the following eligibility criteria and application.
• Enrolled in a graduate program at any Columbia University or Teachers College department throughout the duration of the internship
• Visa status eligible to work or receive payment in the US
• Scholarship/Fellowship status eligible to receive additional funding
This opportunity is especially tailored for graduate students who:
• Are interested in the work of the WPS program and eager to work side by side with women
changemakers and organizations working for social change;
• Want direct experience on project-based work;
• Have excellent communications and interpersonal skills;
• Have superb organizational and time management skills;
• Have strong research and analytical skills and excellent writing and editing skills;
• Are detail-oriented, self-motivated and creative;
• Are curious about, interested in and dedicated to the participatory praxis of
Applications for Peace and Social Change Internships are due August 30, 2019.
To learn more, download the Peace and Social Change Internship Overview.
Apply via the following form by August 30th at 12 PM EST.
If you have questions or would like further information, please contact: email@example.com