Spring 2020: Paid Student Data Science Internship for the Sustainable Peace Project
Spring 2020 Semester | Data Science Intern for the Sustainable Peace Project
The Advanced Consortium on Cooperation, Conflict and Complexity (AC4) at Columbia University’s The Earth Institute is seeking a graduate student intern to provide research assistance to the Sustainable Peace Project that aims at understanding the dynamics of sustainably peaceful societies. The intern will provide a wide range of data science research assistance and some administrative support. Anticipated tasks include, but are not limited to: further developing a peace lexicon using machine learning from text sources and social media to classify peaceful and non-peaceful societies and preparing those findings for presentations and publication. Flexible schedule and competitive hourly rate.
This is a great opportunity to learn about the work of AC4 and the Sustainable Peace Project and interface with leading scholars and practitioners in the field of peace and conflict resolution. This position is ideal for a student of data science interested in conflict resolution, international affairs and/or sustainability.
- Current graduate student enrolled at Columbia University
- Data science skills in:
– machine learning such as logistic regression, knn, random forests, or deep learning;
-NLP such as bag-of-words, Word2Vec, GloVe, or topic modeling;
– sentiment analysis such as nltk, Vader, or Google Natural Language API;
- Experience in preparing extended LaTeX abstracts for ACM or IEEE conferences helpful
- Strong organizational and time management skills, ability to work independently
- Flexibility in adapting to the needs of a dynamic research agenda
- An understanding of current issues in the field of peace and conflict resolution a plus
Interested applicants should send CVs and a cover letter with their expected graduation date to Allegra Chen-Carrel (email@example.com) by December 2, 2019.