CMM Learning Exchange Fellowship
2017 CMM Learning Exchange |”Minding the Gap”: Creating New Space for Coherence
October 23-25, 2017 | London, UK
APPLY NOW! Applications are accepted until May 22nd!
“The Coordinated Management of Meaning (CMM) framework does not only offer a new theoretical approach to understanding communication. It can help us understand how communication can be important for social and political emancipation.”
-Wilfried Zoungrana, 2016 Fellow
The CMM Learning Exchange is an annual forum that brings together a diverse community of individuals and groups to focus on and advance individual and collective understanding on communication, as put forth by the Coordinated Management of Meaning (CMM). AC4 supports CMM as a theoretical framework and methodology for addressing issues of violence and conflict, and for fostering peace and sustainability.
“CMM is the acronym for “Coordinated Management of Meaning,” a phrase that describes what we do when we communicate with each other. … Individual scholars and practitioners, educators and thought leaders, and institutional advocates comprise the core of the [CMM] Institute’s supporters, however, the Institute’s programs and events are open to everyone.”
The CMM Learning Exchange is hosted by the CMM Institute for Personal and Social Evolution. Participants include scholars and practitioners, educators, students and thought leaders who bring a variety of backgrounds and disciplines. Fostering interdisciplinary approaches to constructive conflict resolution and peacebuilding, AC4 offers fellowship awards to the learning exchange for current graduate students and emerging scholar-practitioners as a way to offset travel expenses and add diversity at the CMM Learning Exchange.
Through this fellowship, graduate students and emerging scholars are supported to travel to and participate in the CMM Learning Exchange and become an associate of the CMM Institute for Personal and Social Evolution.
- Application for the fellowship is online and is now open!
- In 2016, AC4 selected four fellows; each using CMM in their research or practice in the field of conflict resolution or peacebuilding.
- Current graduate students or alumni of conflict resolution and peace building from universities around the globe are eligible to apply.
- Fellows may use their financial award to cover transportation to and from the Learning Exchange, accommodation for up to 3 nights, registration, and CMM membership.
- The fellowship is open to current master’s and doctoral students from all disciplines and schools with focus on conflict resolution, as well as alumni of graduate conflict resolution programs from Columbia University or any other university around the globe.
- First time recipients of the AC4 fellowship and current students are given priority.
The following information is required via the online application:
- A proposal of no more than 3 pages (double-spaced, 12 point font) describing your study or project, its scope and focus, how it relates to CMM, and its projected (or actual) impact and/or professional significance. Proposals can be focused on research, practice or applied research;
- Estimated budget with itemized costs for travel and accommodations;
- A letter of recommendation signed and on institutional letterhead. The letter should be tailored to the applicant’s research or project;
- Brief Resume or CV (up to 3 pages);
- Proof of Student Status demonstrated with unofficial transcript from current university, a copy of university transcript, or a copy of Student ID.
All materials should be submitted using this online application form.
2017 CMM Learning Exchange Information
The 2017 CMM Learning Exchange will focus on “Minding the Gap”. The Learning Exchange will take place in London, England in October 23-24, 2017. Please visit the CMM Institute website for contact and more details about the Learning Exchange.
If you have any questions regarding the AC4 Fellowship for the CMM Learning Exchange, please contact Meredith Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Online application opens Friday, April 21
- Application Deadline: Monday, May 22nd
- Selection Committee Review: May 24-June 1
- Decision Notifications: week of June 5th
- CMM Learning Exchange: October 23-24